Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Insulation for solid walls

wrote:
Phil L wrote:
marvelus wrote:
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:02:06 GMT, "Phil L"

It's a lot more expensive than normal CWI, so much so that it
will never turn a profit - you will never save as much as it has
cost for installing,

You mean the return is less than mortgage interest rates? As long
as the return is higher than this wont it pay for itself
eventually. Also, if fuel prices rise wont the pay back time
reduce?

thanks
Thomas

Conventional CWI takes decades to pay for itself, exterior
insulation takes much longer, because A) It costs more, and B) It's
not as effective.

That's not to say it shouldn't be installed - the house will be
warmer in winter and cooler in summer, and this is the main thing,
not saving money - if saving money is your ultimate goal you are
wasting your time bothering because you won't save anything.

your full of ****

sorry

Perhaps my earlier comments have confused you? - I'll try to keep
the words short so that you can follow:

If he spends £500 on conventional CWI, and saves £60 per year, he
will have broke even in less than 20 years, everything after that is
profit.
If on the other hand he chooses to have exterior insulation, it will
cost him probably £3,500 and save him less than £60 per year - with
me so far? - this means it will take him at least 58 years just to
break even.

..sorry about having to use the word 'conventional', there's an
explanation he
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conventional

none of that makes your figures accurate.

NT

Obviously the 20 years should have read as 10 years, 500 divided by 60 is
easy enough to work out.