Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White John White is offline

Default Ring to Star electrical circuits and junction boxes

JupiterJon wrote:

"dcbwhaley" wrote in message
roups.com...
Regulation 526-04-01 refers to accessability of junction blocks

An NICEIC recommendation says
"However, connections required by regulation 526-04-01 to be sccessible
should NOT generally be located under a floor where a carpet is likely
to be laid. A fitted carpet can effectivley render connections beneath
the floor inaccessible because of objections from the occupier to the
carpet being lifted, or difficulties in finding the access trap."

But it does seem to be a widely ignored reccomendation.

526-04-01 relates to "Accessibility of connections" in general and not
just junction boxes. Access to junction boxes is not normally required
for testing and inspection (or for any other reason during the life of
most installations), and I suggest that NICEIC's interpretation of the
regulation is a little over the top for most cases.

Work that requires access to such a junction box will normally involve
ripping up the floor anyway.

Ignored yes, I cannot see how to wire a light which doesn't have its own
rose without it being concealed?

Well you could use one of these and put the new fitting over it.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMDLB6.html

Alternatively if you cannot get access through the floor you can
always cut a hole in the ceiling. There is usually a way if you think
about it long enough.

For sockets does this mean that if I used some big chocolate block at the
back of the socket box and ran an additional star-wired cable down the
conduit that would be OK?

You must put a warning label on the socket outlet or the socket box.
Anybody removing the socket could assume that the terminal blocks
belonged to the same circuit as the radial cable.

Using crimps and a proper crimp tool would, in my opinion, be a better
option for joining the ring as they take up less space in the socket
box.

For a double 13A socket I assume 1.5mm cable would be fine?

That depends on several factors such as the cable length and the
rating of its protecting MCB, to mention but two of them. Generally a
larger size of cable (2.5mm to 6.0mm) would be used.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor