Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default electrical ground rod

"A & P D" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone know the fastest/easiest way to install these 8' rods? It's a pain
in the ass pounding them 3/4 of the way down, hitting a rock or other and
then pulling it back out. Thanks

They are a PITA.

Last time I did it "right", I used a fence post driver (a capped section of
pipe with handles) to start it and get the rod 6' under. At that point,
the fence post driver hits the ground. After that it just used a good
sized sledge hammer.

In my case, the rod would seem to "lock up" and I would not see any
measurable progress after several blows. But eventually I got it down (and
actually below ground level. You might consider putting on the ground
clamp before you start with the hammer. After a zillion blows, the head
might mushroom a little.

There ain't no easy road!

I suspect that I hit down rocks on the way down and the rocks had to shift
or break up before I could progress. If you have a big enough rock
formation down below you are SOL and will have to used some other "approved"
method like putting the rod in lengthwise.