Mark

Default OT- Drive train noise diagnosis?

axolotl wrote:

I'm trying to isolate the cause of drive train noise in my son's 1991
Prizm (Toyota Corolla). The best I can characterize the noise is a
whine, with a rumble component that turns to a loose clatter on
deceleration. I can hear noise from the driver's side CV as I turn the
wheel by hand. What steps (besides serial parts replacement) can I use
to determine if the noise is being generated by the CV, the wheel
bearing or (minor chords here) the transaxle?

I have given up diagnosing over the web. One persons rumble is anothers
clatter.

As has been posted, CVs make a clackety sound while under power in a
turn. CV joints don't usually go bad unless the boot rips and the lubes
gone and the joint contaminated.

The whine/ rumble/ clatter would indicate to me the output shaft in the
transaxle is wandering around. I've been wrong on this stuff before.

Does the whine change as per gear?

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)