Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
R. Pierce Butler R. Pierce Butler is offline

Default Considering detached metal clad workshop questions/comments

wrote in news:1155997373.222116.139720
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

wrote:
Previous owner had land graded for a workshop but didn't follow
through to build it. Currently try to do woodworking work around
inadequate space and electrical capability in cramped half of small 2
car garage. Electricians don't return calls to upgrade garage by
adding 2-3 new circuits and wood frame builders react the same. A
builder of metal buildings has visited and called back with answers so
we're considering going with him.

Would like users observations both sides of the fence and would they
do it again type of comments. Cabinets on walls could be made to be
free standing if screws into the frame aren't viable. Double car door
and personnel door and three windows are minimum at this time.
Air/heat required in Augusta, Georgia area. Septic for half bath and
sink are no problem as we can't connect to the existing one.

Four duplex receptacles and garage door opener plus one ceiling light
all on a 13A circuit. A 12K window air conditioner is all that should
be on that circuit at one time but I have sneaked the lathe on without
popping the breaker but shop vac pops it in no time.

Anxiously waiting comments! TIA!!

I can't comment too specifically on a metal shop, as mine's a 20x20'
wooden shop, but a few observations:

--Air and heat will require insulation.
--I think you're correct; you'll need freestanding cabinets. Screws in
the walls will cause leaks or rust or ??? Maybe there's another way to
wall-mount cabinets in an all metal shop?
--13A?? I've seen 15A, 20A but not 13A. Anyone who wires a shop with
fewer than two 20A circuits is likely to regret it. Wire is cheap,
boxes are cheap, breakers are cheap. In fact, a 20 A 220 v circuit
might be a really good idea. Plus two 110 v 20A circuits. Many 110
motors can be wired for 220, which reduces the starting and running
current so you don't get those annoying sags in voltage. Other folks
might take issue with this opinion, I dunno...

Best -- Terry

Wire used to be cheap.

Running motors at 220VAC is a good idea.

Having said that, I wired my shop with multiple dedicated circuits. I have
no less than 4 circuits just for wall outlets. Add to that a circuit each
for lights, saw, air compressor, and heat pump. Overkill? Probably. I
have yet to trip a breaker.