Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Cracking plaster

JustMe wrote:
Hi folks,

My house is exactly 100 years old. About 3 years ago most of the
plasterwork was skimmed. The original plaster was left in place and a
new, smooth coat was applied on top. I moved in 2 years ago.

The problem is that the old plaster foundation on which the skim was
applied doesn't appear to be sound in some places. In some areas the
base isn't stuck to the bricks so when I to apply pressure with my
hand, I can feel it moving up to and away from the brick by a few mm.
Where this is very bad I'm having to arrange for all plaster to be
hacked back to brickwork and new plaster applied, because the plaster
is cracking all over, but there's one area where there's just one
crack, running from the top corner of a door frame diagonally up to
the ceiling. I previously repaired it by scoring it out, filling it
and repainting, but after a year the crack has returned.

I really don't want to hack this entire wall back for one crack - can
anyone advise a solution that'll last?

TIA.

The crack above the door frame is a cause for concern, especially since it
has returned....if it were my house, I would remove the plaster above this
door and check the lintel, even if the lintle is sound, there's a
possibility that the brickwork has slipped, probably because of subsidence,
what's the exterior brickwork like around that area?