Posted to uk.d-i-y
Skylark Skylark is offline

Default Yikes! Washing machine expelled a white plastic ring

Help! My 6-year-old Hoover WA100 (Performa 1100) ate a bra wire Thurs
morning. It made a terrible metallic clanking noise while spinning. At
first I thought it was just a jeans zip, but it was too loud. I stopped
the machine, extracted the clothes and noticed a wire missing from my
bra. No sign of the wire itself. Also, in amongst the clothes was a
narrow, stiff yet flexible white plastic ring that closes with a set of
little teeth. Suspiciously, it is about the diameter of the drum where
it meets the door seal. I am afraid to run the machine now in case it
floods my downstairs neighbour, so I don't know whether it still works.

What is the plastic ring and will the machine work ok without it? Can I
put it back in myself? Is there any way I can get in and find/remove
the bra wire?

Thanks, Skylark (drowning in dirty laundry)