Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Cracking plaster

Stuart Noble wrote:
Rednadnerb wrote:
Paper the wall with lining paper, it will absorb hairline cracks.

Quite right.
I have a couple of rooms where only the lining paper is keeping the plaster
on the wall but they look fine. Nature of the beast. Either that or have the
whole lot hacked off if you (and your neighbours) can stand the dust

It sounds like a real pain to replace if you think you need to. And
there is no getting away with the fact that lath and plaster can be a
major problem. Great if you have clay soil in the garden though.

I would choose the easy option of ignoring it until it fell off. Then
strip the wall it fell from and redo that with lime and sand then a
lime plaster.

After that I would consider myself capable of tackling the next one
with modern plaster mixes. I suggest the old fashioned mixes to allow
you time to work with them if you have never plastered anything before.

Of course if you don't fancy getting stuck in, put pasterboard up and
skim that. Doing it that way is also a piece of cake. I find plastering
quite relaxing. Messes with your cuticles though.