Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Advantage of a carpenter's rule?

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 02:17:11 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
news
On 15 Aug 2006 15:27:29 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

snip

Well, you look like an interesting guy when you're using one.
Generally speaking, a rule is more accurate, but I wouldn't count on a
folding bit of wood to be signifigantly better than a tape, especially
considering the stepped nature of the extended rule- if you're doing
layout work, that thing is not going to lay flat, and it doesn't make
a good straightedge.

But! If you turn the folding rule on edge it does lay flat and as I
mentioned in an ealier post,
all parallax is gone. A tape is one of the least accurate measuring devices
in my opinion.

It can be, but doesn't have to be inaccurate. If you've got three
guys using different tapes and yelling measurements to one another,
then they can vary by up to 1/8" sometimes- but if it's one guy using
one tape, you can always run it an inch by and rock the tape so that
one edge is laying flat- then it is as accurate as a story stick or
rule, provided you don't forget to always run it an inch by. (Though
I will admit it's easy enough to measure an inch by, and then cut a
piece with the tape hooked on the end, DAMHIKT)

snip
I usually use a metal 4' rule or one of my smaller cabinetmaker's rules,
and even then I get
funny looks if I'm on a jobsite.

I use a folding rule or a cabinetmakers rule, however I use story sticks
more than either.
About the only time I will use a tape is to check diagonal dimensions, and
then I turn the tape on edge for accuracy. I don't care about funny looks
when I'm working. :-)

Nor do I, generally, but sometimes it's a matter of avoiding the boss
or foreman's irritation. Even though it's more accurate and takes no
more time to use a rule, it's amazing how many carpenters think it's a
waste of time- and assume that you are being fussy and lazy if you use
them. Of course, most of the framers I've worked with contend that a
sixteenth is a non-existant measurement- to those guys, parallax does
not exist either.

Now if you're talking about working in my home shop, I'd have to
agree- anyone caught making funny faces can get out and leave me to my
own devices! But even then, I just use the inch-by method for
anything over 4', and so far, it's always worked fine.