Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA JANA is offline

Default .2 volts between neutral and ground

What you are reading is normal. The heavier the load, the greater the
reading. You are seeing the differential voltage difference between the load
return side and the neutral side. The wiring has some electrical resistance,
and you are measuring this along the neutral to ground return path.

--

JANA
_____

"Dave Botsch" wrote in message
news I have noted on some outlets between .1 and .2 volts from the neutral to
the equipment ground. One outlet was showing .4 when the AC was on and
nothing when the AC was off (but, it's on the same circuit as the AC,
hence the load on that circuit).

In the past, I hadn't noted any voltage btwn neutral and ground and hot to
neutral and hot to grnd was the same (it's off, now, by the amounts above).

I'm guessing this is bad and is something I should have looked into as
soon as possible?

I am going to check again tonight after people have gone to bed and
electric usage in the area should have gone down.

thoughts?

--
David William Botsch