Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lsmartino lsmartino is offline

Default .2 volts between neutral and ground

Dave Botsch ha escrito:

Wouldn't that be from one wire on the outlet, back to breaker box, then
back over the other wire back to the outlet?

So, it sounds like there is more current on one of the neutral, ground
since I last measured (I wonder if hooking up the tv upstairs to the cable
line could have some effect on this).

The readings you are obtaining are normal. The neutral wire carries the
current of the circuit back to the breaker box, while the ground
conductor is unloaded. The load in the neutral causes a slight voltage
drop in the conductor, and your reading is just showing that.

If you measured a difference of 1 - 3 volts between neutral and ground,
you should worry, but a 0.20 V difference is meaningless. Probably
there isnīt even a difference and you are just obtaining an spurious
reading caused by the DMM itself.