Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Tom is offline

Default Tree name wanted in Florida

"Ma Hogany" wrote in message
. ..
Tom - What did the leaves look like?

Some initial guesses. Ficus (aka strangler fig, aka banyan) or poinciana.
Ficus is easy to turn but a pretty unstable wood. Expect a lot of
movement / cracking after turning. Poinciana is a great wood for turning
and looks particularly striking if you let it spalt.

MH

I can't remember what the leaves looked like, but I do remember one thing
about the tree and that is some of the roots were on top of the ground and
presented a big problem when cutting the grass. The name ficus stands out.
I know she had a large bush she said was a Ficus. It was about the same
shape as a Lilac bush.