Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Converting from domestic (tank) to tankless water heater

m Ransley wrote:

But is there realy enough insulation on any tank, maybe 2" of foam for
say R 12, but code for attics in my area is R35 and optimal is R60. Loss
also continualy occurs through the water pipes, you are keeping water
hot, there is alot of loss.

Based on the comparison for tank type electric and tankless electric
where there was clearly little standby loss from the heated tank I'd say
yes.

Newer heaters have little valves that are designed to limit heat loss to
the pipes in standby. Certainly insulating the hot water pipes is still
a good idea.

Pete C.