Posted to alt.home.repair
Not Avaiable Not Avaiable is offline

Default Crack in slab. Contract pending on house.

dpb wrote:
ou don't say...

For five years, what appears to be no more than a hairline crack is
certainly not unexpected--it would be more unusual for there to not be
any.

This is true. Before I finished my (then) 5 year old basement, I had 6
or 7 cracks, mostly hairlines. A couple are almost 1/8". Additionly, I
had cracks of 1/8" or more at all the joins. I covered those cracks with
roofing felts, and put ceremic tiles on. No more cracks visible.

I visited 4 of my neighbor's basements. All of their slabs had cracks
before put on a finished floors (they put laminates on).

To those who said that cracks are bad signs, maybe you can remove your
carpets or laminates and report back about your results.