Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Using glue /water soup on punky wood

Ken and Larry

I use white glue, and got it at Home Depot, one gallon can I think it
was, it's used for wood , paper, cardboard, leather etc., and I mixed
it 50/50 glue/water.

It does not make hard wood from soft wood, but fills punky soft wood
hard enough to turn just fine, but will still allow tool pressure to
show on the wood, it makes punky soft wood that you can poke your
finger into hard enough that you can't get a fingernail to make a mark.

I don't know if it will prevent tearout, as that is usually associated
with tool sharpness and presentation problems, like in wavy wood where
the undulating wood does make the right presentation of the tool more
or less impossible.

I also suspect that it will be very hard to get the GW soup to
penetrate the solid wood to any useful depth, but it would be useful to
find out, give it a try, what's to loose but a little glue and water
soup.

The biggest problem might be the finishing, as the oil finish I use
goes into the wood more readily than water and the problem of to much
oil comes into play, maybe a sealer would be the answer, but I'm not
very good at the finishing art, and always have kept to a simple way of
doing things.

As for the glue being hard on the tool, it just isn't the same glue as
used in the MDF or plywood etc., and I have not noticed anything at all
in that regard.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo