Posted to alt.home.repair
nhurst nhurst is offline

Default Low-e (low emissivity) Coatings On Andersen & Pella Glass Windows ?

We got the low-e coating on a set of windows in our home, because we
didn't want the sun bleaching our furniture in that room.

You can't really tell a difference between the low-e coating and
non-low-e unless the windows are right next to each other.

It's a very very light tint, and I believe the coating is on the inside
of the panes of glass, but I can't remember for sure.

If you get a ton of sun and don't have a lot of cover, I'd consider it.
Radiant heating can be a bother.

Although I will warn you that if you like to put live plants in your
windows, you don't want low-e everywhere. I had a buddy once who put
the low-e windows everywhere in his new house and couldn't figure out
why all his plants were dying, even though they were in the full light
of the windows.

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Regarding the Low-e (low emissivity) coating option that Anersen and Pella
both apparently offer on their lines
of replacement glass windows:

Do these coatings change the clarity of the glass ?

Still "crystal-clear" with the coating applied ?

Any discernable tint, or glass color changes, apparent at all ?

etc. ?

Unfortunately, none of the sample windows we were able to look at in the
stores
had the coatings; hence the question.

Thanks,
Bob