Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Alternative shower pan idea. Will it work?

"nascenta" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm building a shower enclosure (32 x 70) on a concrete floor. The
drain is right against the wall on the short side. Since I have,
essentially, one plane to slope I'm thinking of doing the following: 1)
Apply rubber membrane on floor with hospital corners to 10 inches high
and put in the appropriate drain 2) put in mortar to the slope needed
(1/4 per foot). 3) while the mortar is still wet put down fiberglass
reinforced cement board and firmly set in the mortar.

Is this going to work? What do you think? Your comments will be
appreciated.

The membrane needs to be sloped to the drain. The tile also should slope
towards the drain in each direction - in your case 3 directions.

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html
http://www.thetiledoctor.com/howto/showers.cfm

Bob