Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon Robert Gammon is offline

Default Converting from domestic (tank) to tankless water heater

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"djenka2" wrote in message
ps.com...

I've just finished building brand new house and I put standard domestic
Hot Water heater with tank. Now I see that Takagi and other
manufacturers makes tankless water heaters and they are not that much
more expensive than standard domestic ones. My question is, if I ever
decide to get rid of domestic ones can I put Takagi tankless water
heater instead eventhou I was told It will be bloody expensive because
my mecanical room is not on outside wall, it is in the middle of the
house. Does that make any sense to you?

Thanks!

I'm not an expert on these but I understand it is not a direct replacement
for a standard water heater. The gas line should be larger is what I've
seen (like 1" or more....not sure on that). Better keep investigating
before purchasing!

My 1988 Kenmore gas 40gallon has a 40,000 BTU input.

Read the specs for the gas tagaki, its BTU input is several times larger.

In terms of gas usage, the tankless will be the largest single consumer
of gas in your house by a LARGE margin at any instant of time. Granted
it only runs when hot water is flowing so its total gas use is not that
great. But when its on, it uses ALOT of gas.

Whole house Electric tankless is similar. Dedicated circuits must be
installed.

To go from natural gas traditional to natural gas tankless, you will
need the following
1. New gas line installed from meter or from the distribution line
in your house.
2. Stainless steel exhaust installed thru the roof (can't share with
furnace, and this baby is HOT)
3. new 115V circuit.

The costs of the install may well rival or exceed the costs of the
equipment.

For example, I see a competitor's tankless electric. Depending on
capacity, they recommend minimum wire size of 6 guage, and 60 to 180AMPs
of circuit breaker capacity (60A, 2x40A, 2x50A, 2x60A, 3x50A, or 3x60A)