Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] jaykchan@hotmail.com is offline

Default How Quiet Can I Get From Boxing a Noisy Shop Vac?

pe wrote:
On 17 Aug 2006 09:57:45 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

"The best way to quite a shop vac it to put it into a box. I built a
30"
cubical box with a door and latch on one side, put the cube on casters,
lined the inside of the cube with carpet scraps

I found that heavy foam carpet underlay is a better box liner, easy to find (you
can find huge unused chunks (rollends) in dumpsters behind carpet stores) and
it's easy to glue into place in layers. I have 4 layers in the 'box' under my
work bench and my huge noisy Shopvac is very quiet, as is my air compressor. My
AC sits on top of 3 layers of carpet underlay as well.

Thanks for the suggestion of using 4 layers of carpet underlayment. It
should be easier-to-get and cheaper than special sound-dampening foam.
I will keep this in mind.

Jay Chan