Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] jaykchan@hotmail.com is offline

Default How Quiet Can I Get From Boxing a Noisy Shop Vac?

Andy wrote:
wrote:
Seem like no one can tell me if boxing-in the shop vac will cut down
the noise significantly. I guess I will have to try building one and
see what will happen.

Also, have you tried searching the google groups rec.woodworking
archives? I searched for shop vac box and got some good info -
especially this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w... f18c8c8cf09bd
A snippet, in case the link doesn't work, from Joe Nation, May 15,
2003:
"The best way to quite a shop vac it to put it into a box. I built a
30"
cubical box with a door and latch on one side, put the cube on casters,
lined the inside of the cube with carpet scraps, drilled a hole for the
vaccum hose to exit the box and drilled 4 smaller holes (about 1.5" in
diameter) along the back bottom edge of the box for ventilation and to
allow
the vaccums exhaust streem to exit the box. The reduction in noise
from the
vaccum is remarkable. I do not have any sound level measurements but, I
can
talk or listen to the radio at normal sound levels with the vaccum
running.
This solution works!!! I often forget to turn the vaccum off after I
have
been using it for a long period of time at my workbench because it runs
so
quitely. It does not degrade the peformance of the shop vaccum or
shorten
its expected operating life. "
Andy

Yes, I have already read that post. But I have a difficulty
translating what he said to the kind of low noise level that I want.
Seem like this is very subjective, and I need to build it to find out.

Jay Chan