Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade Andy Wade is offline

Default 5A fuse replacement in fuse box - does not quite fit...

Christian McArdle wrote:

I should say that you should use the BS1361 HRC fuse in preference even if
both types fit. I don't know if BS1362 (standard plug fuses) have sufficient
breaking capacity.

The rated breaking capacities are 16.5 kA for BS 1361 consumer unit
fuses and 6 kA for BS 1362 plug fuses.

In principle you shouldn't use the BS 1362 fuse in a consumer unit, but
since only the 5 amp types are interchangeable, the chance of the 6 kA
breaking capacity being exceeded in practice is very very small. I'd
have no hesitation of using a 5 A plug fuse as an temporary replacement,
until a round tuit allows a BS 1361 fuse to be fitted.

--
Andy