Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Real deck stain, not "thin paint"?

Noozer wrote:
My deck looks awful. I stained it a little over a year ago and much of the
stain is gone already. From the looks of it, it was more of a thin paint
than a stain because it didn't soak into the wood.

I'm planning on sanding the whole thing down and restaining.

So... What brands should I look for? What to avoid?

Deck is cedar and I'm located in Calgary, AB, Canada.

BTW... Is there a trick to removing BBQ grease from a wooden deck?

No trick, just spray oven cleaner on in, let soak
for 10-15 minutes, then wash. If it is really
thick and deep into the wood, you might have to do
it 2 or 3 times. Same method is used to remove
years of dirt and old oil from military rifle
stocks. There is always some chance of warping,
but that shouldn't make much difference to your
decking.