Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Advantage of a carpenter's rule?

On 15 Aug 2006 15:27:29 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

I've noticed that a folding carpenter's rule is often included in lists
of essential basic tools. I'm not sure I understand how a folding ruler
differs from a tape measurer. Could anyone explain what the advantage
of a folding ruler is?

Well, you look like an interesting guy when you're using one.
Generally speaking, a rule is more accurate, but I wouldn't count on a
folding bit of wood to be signifigantly better than a tape, especially
considering the stepped nature of the extended rule- if you're doing
layout work, that thing is not going to lay flat, and it doesn't make
a good straightedge.

AFAIK, I've never seen a folding rule in a list of essential basic
tools- they've been replaced by tape measures, for the most part. For
things requiring a really accurate measurement, I usually use a metal
4' rule or one of my smaller cabinetmaker's rules, and even then I get
funny looks if I'm on a jobsite. My guess is that those old folders
were around as a good solution to fitting a long ruler in a short
toolbox until retractable tapes were widely availible, kind of like
braces- they were, and still are, just fine- but you don't see them
much anymore now that cordless drills are so common.