Posted to uk.d-i-y
James James is offline

Default rcd socket placement/spur

Hi,

This is actually somewhat of a follow up to a previous posting I did, but I
thought it best to start a new thread after getting some feedback/advice and
doing some research.

I have a ring main plug socket in the garage that I either want to feed off,
or split the cable with a junction box just before it, and provide a spur
out to the garden.
I have had some advice on this newsgroup to make this a seperate circuit
altogether, but my skills and willingness to attempt do not extend to
tampering with the main fuse box.

1. I realise that I must provide an RCD spur that will feed off into the
garden. So basically I want to spur off inside the garage to a fused RCD
spur, then take this into the garden where I want to provide a double plug
socket. Can this double plug socket be a bog standard weatherproof one?

2. Now I also want to split off to place another plug socket within a
different area of the garage. Once the garden spur is in place, I am
assuming that I cannot spur off the RCD fused spur to another socket, but I
could spur off to a FCU, then a socket after this? Otherwise I could spur
off the other side of the socket (i.e another junction box in the cable) to
a standard plug socket, thus creating two spurs off the ring main.

Can I also just clarify that with an RCD fused spur scenario I described
above, if something causes the RCD to trip, this will stop at the RCD socket
or will it cause the entire socket circuit to go down? I can't have this
happen as my house is on one socket circuit throughout and I need some
electrical devices to be up 24/7.

Thanks,

James