Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Inspection -Question - Should Seller get one done ??

I would agree with Ray and CM. As a seller, I would not get a home
inspection done. It is likely the buyer will want their own inspection
anyway. And if they rely on an inspector you choose, you may be
opening yourself to future legal problems if they later find defects.
As a buyer, I would always want my own inspection with me present with
the inspector when it's done. So, if the seller pays for an
inspection, it's just one more opportunity for an inspector to possibly
find defects that the seller never knew about. Once found you have the
obligation to disclose them. If you were selling a car, would you take
it to a mechanic for a report, or let the buyer, if they so choose?

I also think CM has a good point that the list of defects, cautions,
etc may vary a lot from one inspector to the next. By doing your own
and then having a seller likely do one, you've now opened yourself up
for more repairs. IMO, the less inspections the better it is for the
seller. If there is a major disagreement with the findings of the
buyer's inspection, then you can always get an inspection done at that
point.