Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Condensation inside bathroom vent fan - update

EXT wrote:
I have learned the hard way to avoid metal tubing, it is cold in winter and
can produce a considerable amount of condensation. Now I only use 4" PVC
sewer pipe, it is not as thick walled as drain and vent pipe and has belled
ends for easy connecting. Since I changed I have not had any condensation
problems. Also in my climate and because it runs through the attic I make
sure that it is buried in the insulation for extra insurance, but so was the
metal pipe that gave me problems.

I've heard it recommended to insulate the steel tube, but you had bad
luck with that. I used the flexi-insulated duct, which is really just a
tube out of fibreglass insulation with plastic outside and foil (i
think? been a while) inside. I stretched it out pretty good, so it
wouldn't have corrugations inside to trap the flow. I honestly don't
know if it condesnses in the duct or not, but don't ask, don't smell
seems to be working in my case.

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm curious, does your vent go through the roof or out the wall. I ask
because I installed a nice older one in our master bath from a
demolition salvage place that removes fixtures from high-end houses,
and I was careful to slope the vent tube down to the wall exit. I've
had no problems