Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Gutter advice sought

I just removed gutter from one side of my cabin to install a new metal roof.
The gutter was hanging on that 35' side, and ice dams that stayed all winter
were soaking the fascia board.

I now am going to make hangers that extend up to the rafter truss ends to
support the weight of the gutter and ensuing ice buildup.

My question: I want to put heating strips on the two 35' runs of gutters I
am going to install. I don't see any other way except letting the ice dams
sit there, and that can be substantial weight hanging there. I am a welder,
and can make quality 1" x 1" hanging supports that will drill into the
rafters on one side, and the roof beams on the other. They WILL support the
weight, but I anticipate that when the gutters get full, it will start
melting into the fascia which is what I want to avoid. Not a big problem
about leaves, as the gutters are high up where few leaves blow in.

Does anyone here use heat strips in their gutters? Any tips or advice
appreciated.

Steve