Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default FOAK: Power tools for beginners

In uk.d-i-y Verdigris wrote:
I have a hankering to buy an electric drill. Being ignorant of such
matters I'd appreciate recommendations.

It would be for putting up shelves and the like in the house - typical
modern consturction with plasterboard and breize blocks, (or something
like that); maybe in the garage, which is brick. Miscellaneous other
minor things, perhaps.

This isn't something I'd expect to use very often, so I don't want to
spend too much on it. On the other hand, I want something that'll be easy
for a novice to use without too much risk of messing things up.

So: what's in the shops at the moment that's worth having?

Personally.
I haven't found much wrong with the PB550HB drill, that was IIRC
19.99 from Homebase.

And it's got a 3 year guarantee.
It's been used to put in several thousand 30-70mm screws, without issue.