Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Advice Buying "Blade-Left" Circular Saw Sidewinder or Worms

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

Leon, That's not what I've found. Framers here (most all) generally use
the worm drive, left blade saw. In addition left blade saws out sell
right blade saws 5 to1. Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, all sell their saw,
classified as heavy duty or framers saw only in a left blade
configuration. There must be a reason.

LOL....What you find and what is correct are often not the same. The reason
for using the saw in the wrong hand is to indeed get a better view. A
better view is not always a "safe" situation. I suspect that left and right
hand saws were intended to be used accordingly for safety reasons. This
came up a couple of years ago. IIRC the PC owners manual points out the
right blade is for right handers and the left for left handers. Years ago I
recall my shop teacher saying that you want the blade outside your hands not
between your hands.
Typically when sawing a board a left hander likes to hold the bulk of
material with his right hand and the opposite for right handers. With a
left hander and a left blade saw the larger portion of the saw base would
set on the longer end of the board while the smaller waste falls away to the
left. I do not at all doubt that the lefts out sell the rights and I also
know that the ratio holds true to how many actually hold the saw with the
wrong hand. Popular opinion by users may disagree by a ratio of 5 to 1.
;~)

And yes, PC does make a right blade worm drive saw.