Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default "door" panels

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:41:25 -0500, "D. McDaniels"
wrote:

Hi All,

I need to make several "door" panels for access ports to the attic.
Basically, I need a 1x4 routed frame with a plywood insert.

What's the best fasteners/method to join boards with a 45 degree miter? I
can't afford a biscuit joiner for this tiny amount of work.

Sure appreciate any suggestions.

Mitered joints are bit trickier to make than other types of corner
joints. You could use a spline where the slots are made with a table
saw. For safety, make a jig that holds the piece securely in place
during the cut. The spline should be cut such that the grain crosses
the miter. If the edges of the panels will not be seen you could use
wood screws near the corners, although that's not my personal choice.