Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Hypothetical question for wreckers

On 16 Aug 2006 21:01:14 -0700, wrote:

I think I part with some of the opinions here in two ways: not only do
I think this is a good question, but I believe that thinking about the
question is a good thing.

To me, it's valuable to think of "what if the power goes out"? I don't
want a shop I can't use during a blackout: it's the reason I'm putting
skylights and a woodstove in mine. I want to know I _can_, if needed,
do everything by hand. Would I always prefer to do so? No - I'd like
the option of power assist, at least for some tasks. But it shouldn't
be, and isn't, required for me to enjoy my woodworking.

Dudley

It sort of leads to the topic of "is your power tool work better if you learned
on hand tools?"

I think in some cases mine is, especially when cutting or sanding smaller
pieces......
Sort of like my theory that if you've replaced things on a car such as brakes
and clutches and understand how they work, you use them better and with more
respect... YMWV
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis