Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS BobS is offline

Default "door" panels

"D. McDaniels" wrote in message
Hi All,

I need to make several "door" panels for access ports to the attic.
Basically, I need a 1x4 routed frame with a plywood insert.

What's the best fasteners/method to join boards with a 45 degree miter? I
can't afford a biscuit joiner for this tiny amount of work.

Sure appreciate any suggestions.

If you're already routing or making a dado to insert the panel into the
frame, then just continue that into the mitered ends and use splines. If
your groove is 1/4" deep, then the spline should be the same thickness as
the panel insert, a tad longer than the length of the miter cut and a tad
under 1/2" in width to allow for glue. Use some spare pieces of the ply
to make the 4 splines. After the glue dries, trim the ends of the
splines.

Bob S.