Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Reinforcing Corian?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"Toller" wrote in
:

I am making a router tabletop out of 1/2" corian. The Insert is 3/8",
leaving 1/4" of corian. That might be strong enough, but I sure don't
want to chance it. I would like to reinforce the bottom. I can glue
plywood or more corian to the bottom around the cutout to strengthen
it.

Would plywood (1/2"?) be adequate, should I use corian, or something
else? Is epoxy a good choice for the glue, or maybe polyurethane?
Is glue adequate, or should I work some bolts into it as well?

Glue the entire piece of Corian to a 3/4" substrate,preferably birch
plywood for rigidity;otherwise,the Corian will eventually sag from the
weight of the router.

Epoxy is fine,the right kind,of course.
I'd use West System or System Three and the right filler.

I have a half gallon of Wests just a few feet from my router. Is there any
household product I can use as a filler, or must it be purchased? I have
used sawdust as a filler before, but not in an application where failure
could be hazardous.