Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] bbj@theskybeam.com is offline

Default Woodturning shavings. Uses?

massmans wrote:
I turned some bowls this weekend and ended up with a large trash can
full of shavings.

Can they be used as mulch for gardening? Are there any other
recommendations for the use of the shavings.

I have mainly been turning Walnut, Cherry, Maple and Ash, if that
helps.

thanks,
Steve

I use the shavings to make what I call handy, dandy fire starters for
starting brickettes in the BBQ or fires in the fireplace. I melt old
candles or parafin (like the wax on top of home made jellies) and then
mix the shavings into it so all the liquid wax is absorbed. I then put
the mixture into individual paper serving cups (holds 1 or 2
Tablespoons) or paper egg cartons that I cut apart. I then wrap the
individual portiions in foil. The egg carton can be wrapped in foil
and I make them look like bells, fasten ribbon on tops and use them for
package tie ons at Christmas or Weddings with a card explaining what is
inside the bell package. These are great to take camping too. It
takes only one to start a BBQ or laid fire in the fireplace and usually
only one match to get the fire started. Good sellers at craft shows.
Barb