Posted to alt.home.repair
# Fred # # Fred # is offline

Default Wood floor over vinyl / linoleum

"jmyszka" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to all those who have helped me on this project so far!

My next question: The vinyl/linoleum floor in the kitchen looks to be
a miserable job to rip up and remove all the adhesive. Does anyone
know if it would be possible to glue the bamboo directly to the
existing floor after a good cleaning? If it won't be, can anyone
recommend a great adhesive remover? I've purchased a long-handled
scraper, and it just doesn't seem to do the job on its own.

Many thanks!

Joe

If you have a concrete floor maybe an air driver scraper would help - you
need a huge compressor though. If you have a wood subfloor then maybe a 1/4"
particle board underlayment below the vinyl. What you do in that case is
adjust you circular saw 1/4" and let her rip - that is after you've verified
if the vinyl contain asbestos. I've lay over vinyl in both kitchens and
bathrooms with a floating floor system (no glue or nail) without problems.