Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.english.usage
James Thompson James Thompson is offline

Default Hamfest ticket

"mm" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:24:05 -0400, "mc"
wrote:

"G" wrote in message
Not knowing what the purpose of that ticket was, I'll offer a guess that
there may have been a spot after the "I AM" in which you'd typically
fill
in your name or more usually, your amateur radio callsign; as this would
be the way we'd identify ourselves to each other. That ticket would
often
be put into a drum for door prizes etc. (generic numbered tickets are
also
typcially used)

Bingo. I think you got it.

I guess he did get it. I meant to have the ticket in front of me when
I first posted.

Here are details. The original has no serifs.

No. 6098 [different number each ticket]

Xxxxxxxx Yyyyyyy

Amateur Radio Club, Inc.

W4RKC

Annual Hamfest

I AM

Call ......................

Handle ...................

As you can see, except for the call sign, it's the only line in all
capitals, and that's certainly what confused me. Also, maybe because
I have no handle and can't remember my call (I only got a license
again 2 years ago) I didn't notice the two lines below.

Still, this is the stub that I keep, not the part that gets put in the
drum for the raffle, and the phrasing seems strange. It sounds like
those stick on labels from conventions and singles dances that say
"Hi! My name is ...... " Do some also have "What's yours?"? But
no one pins this stub to their shirt. So on this piece of paper, it
doesn't serve to identify anyone to anyone.

Thanks for the help.

* Some do pin them to there hats. I have been to a few of them and saw many
there wearing there ticket stub. Just so that freinds they talk to on the
radio might see there call sign and ID them as a friend.
JTT, I AM KF4HUF.