Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default More hybrid figures...

On 2006-08-16 13:40:05 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
Although people moan about petrol tax, it doesn't affect behaviour
because it's paid so gradually that it's absorbed into general
household expenditure. An extra few thousand quid demand once a year
would, however, prompt a fair number of people to consider if they
really need/can afford a car.

Which would again favour those with the ability to pay. Is that what
you intended?

Everything favours those with the ability to pay. Even the NHS favours
those with the ability to pay and go private :-)

Hmm... Not sure about that.

Generally though, if people consider that they have a need or desire to
use a private car, they will do so, and TBH, the government is wasting
its time and our money if it believes it can alter behaviour.

Largely true, I'm afraid. But a single expensive payment might have
more effect on making people reconsider whether second car ownership
for the school run is really worthwhile.

Maybe..... however, memories of single large payments soon fade....