Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Contractor ripoffs report on Dateline NBC

I live in FL. There is a lot wrong here, too, but one thing we do have
is a place to call b efore you hire anyone and find out if they are
licensed, insured and if there have been any reports to consumer
protection about wrongdoing. I always check with both places before
hiring anyone....it isn't a guarantee but it helps.

Stay tuned though. The state has just started a new program where
consumers can have their homes retrofitted to withstand hurricanes and
the state will give them matching funds and the insurance companies
(maybe) will lower the price of insurance. Home inspectors will come
out and give free inspections and make recommendations and give
estimates...

Sure hope it works the way it's supposed to work. My husband isn't
holding his breath...it may be six months before we can get the
inspection. Lots of people on waiting list.