Posted to alt.home.repair
Nina Harris Nina Harris is offline

Default plan to work on attic insulation

please don't shoot me but I'm wondering if someone can give me some general idea about
steps to improve my attic insulation

here's the general background. Due to summer heat, I plan on waiting until temps
moderate into the low 70's and I would like to do all the work myself. Attic space is
about 3-4ft in center where the insulated ducts run and I wanted to add insulation but
don't want to use cellulose or fiberglass (blown in) but some type of insulating
blankets or radiant barrier.

is it normal to remove the old insulation? I could possibly find a protective suit
(one-time use available?) and breathing mask and just start cleaning slowly each sq ft
of the attic and once completed, pickup the blankets from home depot or lowes and lay
these down.

my desire would be to remove the old stuff as it's about 30 years old and can't have
fared too well plus the occasional rodent visit and the house has at least twice
undergone a whole roof replacement so there is debris and dust everywhere.

give me some general steps in this, again, I would like to do this myself as I have
the time and desire to learn how it's best done.