Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default Advantage of a carpenter's rule?

On 15 Aug 2006 15:27:29 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

I've noticed that a folding carpenter's rule is often included in lists
of essential basic tools. I'm not sure I understand how a folding ruler
differs from a tape measurer. Could anyone explain what the advantage
of a folding ruler is?

Thanks,
Richard

I use both folding ruler and retractable tape in my daily work. They
are both useful.
For accuracy the folding rule is superior. Retractable tapes use a
metal end that is supposed to slide back and forth for outside measure
and inside measure. If this feature is working correctly the tape
should be more or less accurate. They are probably accurate to
1/32-1/16. If the feature is not sliding correctly measurements can be
off by 1/8 plus.
The folding rule is more accurate and as based on the users skill.