Toolbert

Default Gravity detectors was Block in boat - OT, NO metal just brain

"brownnsharp" wrote in message
om...
(Beecrofter) wrote in message

. com...
These gravity anomalies are called "vertical deflections" and are the
places where the gravity vector differs from perpendicular to the
earths surface.
Over large iron deposits you will find them to be a bit larger but
they really don't follow the geomagnetic fields to any degree.
I believe they used to test for them with pendulous gyroscopic
acellerometers but I bet the new stuff is a bit more refined.

I have a book on the history of maps and mapmaking. It seems that
back in the 1600's there was a big discussion about how big a degree
was on the earth and the way they chose to measure this was discussed
greatly in this book. They took pendulum clocks, adjusted them to
great precision in France. They then disassembled them carefully,
loaded them on ships and sent them down closer to the equator, to use
in astronomical observatories. They found that the rate of the clock
changed. They correctly assumed that the gravitational field was
different at different places on the earth. I believe that these
clocks qualify as the first precision gravity meters.

At the peak of refinement of pendulum clocks as national standards, before
going atomic/electronic, the clocks easily measured the position of the
moon, and local seasonal groundwater variations.