Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O. Mike O. is offline

Default Advantage of a carpenter's rule?

On 15 Aug 2006 15:27:29 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

I've noticed that a folding carpenter's rule is often included in lists
of essential basic tools. I'm not sure I understand how a folding ruler
differs from a tape measurer. Could anyone explain what the advantage
of a folding ruler is?

As everyone has mentioned, taking inside measurements is the real
advantage.
One thing I've noticed is when new, they are not always accurate to a
tape measure. If you lay your tape along the rule, sometimes you
notice that all of a sudden one section will start to run off. This
can usually be corrected by tapping on the joint of that section to
get it back in line. We always check them.
Lufkin used to make one with the sliding extension on both ends. I
think it was the x6x model but I'm not sure if they even make it
anymore. With that model it doesn't matter which end you un-fold you
always have the extender on that end.

Mike O.