Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Wiring placement?

mgarvie wrote:
I have an older home with wiring that has no ground wire. As I slowly
remodel the home I'll be replacing the wiring and run it through the attic.
Is it acceptable to fastened the wires to the underside of the rafters? I
was going to be adding insulation later and didn't like the idea of having
just laying the wires on top of or under the insulation like it is now.
Just thought it would be better to have it up, out of the way, and easy to
get to in the future if the need comes up.

I am not an electrician, but I was a part time housebuilder, and I never
saw electricians attaching wire to rafter or other framing faces. Check
with your local electrical inspector to see if it meets code. You may
have to protect the wire with conduit. Besides, what if you decided to
sheet rock or panel the rafters some time in the future?.
Run the new wiring through the old holes and cut the insulation halfway
through at that point so that the wiring will be inside the insulation.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY