Andy Hall

Default Garage Lighting

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:56:33 +0100, PoP
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:59:06 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

I also have the walls boarded with plywood and have painted these and
the (boarded) ceiling with white emulsion.

What did you board the ceiling with? Plywood sounds a tad expensive to
do this double garage.

PoP

The roof is pitched with tiles (this is a detached building) and has
trussed roof frames. I boarded onto the top side of the "ceiling"
joists - if you imagine it like a house, the underside would have had
plasterboard. This boarding is T&G floorboarding, of which I was
able to obtain a good price for quantity at a timber yard. So from
below you can see the joists and the underside of the boards.

The roof is insulated with Celotex between the rafters, with air gap
behind, soffit vents etc. - the floor boarded area is not. The
effect of this is that the boarding reduces the effect of heat rising
all the way up into the top part of the roof but still allows some
passage of warmth through the boards to keep the roof area slightly
warmed.

I use the roof area for storage - things don't rust or otherwise
deteriorate. I put in a loft hatch with integrated fold down
ladder for daily access, and then a much larger removable panel behind
it with a hoist above for lifting up larger or more awkward items like
bicycles.

I framed in front of the (single brick) walls with pressure treated
75x50 timber, screwed to the joists at the top and the floor at the
bottom and with a 25mm air gap behind. I fitted Celotex between the
framing, and then plywood onto that. The plywood was quite a good
quality external 18mm WBP from Finland, sourced from Jewsons. One
side tended to be better than the other and small defects were easy to
sand and fill.

The trick seems to be to buy all the materials at once and contact a
few places for pricing. Once the order is of a reasonable size and
they realise that they are in competition, the prices drop quite
markedly.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl