Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.components,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
John Popelish John Popelish is offline

Default Building a transformer

J. B. Wood wrote:
In article , John Popelish
wrote:

In addition to the filter and secondary current comments:
If you don't load the two outputs equally, there will be Dc in the
transformer core, causing it to saturate at the end of alternating
half cycles. It will hum and get hot.

Hello, and direct current in the core as a result of current flow in the
secondary windings? Just how would that be possible? Is the core part of
some external circuit? If you mean eddy currents they would be AC and a
power transformer core is laminated to minimize this effect. Either I
misconstrued your comment or I must have been sleeping in my EE101
electric machinery course years ago. Sincerely,

I have been waiting for this.

I misspoke. There is no current in the core (except for the normal AC
eddy current). I meant to say that there will be a net DC in the
windings, which will cause the core to magnetically saturate at the
end of alternating half cycles.