Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Biscuiting a miter joint?

"Toller" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message

I am not thrilled about the recutting my slots, as they are likely to

end
up
a bit wider than I would like; maybe I can get away with just deepening

one
side?

Lay some 80 grit sandpaper on your workbench, rub the edge of a biscuit

on
it until, when placed in the slot, the gap disappears.

Excellent idea! Why didn't I think of it?

That's why I get paid the big bucks ... yeah, right!

Anyhow, the gap dissappears with the sanded biscuits, so all is well.
Now the only issue is whether I should add a third biscuit in the middle
that is cut deeper.

Splines and biscuits are two of the best ways to reinforce the inherently
weak miter joint. I would put as many, evenly spaced, that would not
structurally effect/weaken the parts.

I did the job for years with spines, but when finally brought kicking and
screaming into the modern technological world of biscuits a couple of years
back, it was Tom Watson who assured me that biscuits were fine for this
particular task. I haven't had a problem with them doing the job.

Seems you have a problem with biscuit size, or your plate joiner's depth of
cut ... you need to figure out which because this gap business shouldn't be
happening.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/13/06