Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps Grumps is offline

Default Electrical wiring Q.

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "Grumps" contains these words:

Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this
obviously
included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that wiring regs
require
any socket that can be potentially used outside (extension lead) to
be RCD protected?

Yes, but if your existing CU already has RCD protection on the sockets
this is considered OK.

Thanks. It hasn't
So, can I just replace some sockets (there are 4 max that could
realistically be used to supply outside power - and only one would ever be
used) with ones with built-in RCD protection? I've read the regs now, but it
just says 'you need RCD', it doesn't say whether the RCD should be at the
CU.