Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Replaced bathroom sink - trap doesn't align

Dan_Musicant wrote in
:

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:17:04 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
:
:SNIP
:
: Yeah, some kind of flex tube would work, I suppose. Maybe I'll do that.
: I'm afraid to crank on the nut at the wall in that the drain pipe could
: snap or crack.
:
:
: There is a fix meant for just this situation.
: It's called a "Repair Trap".
:http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6852578
:
: You don't need to disturb the connection in the wall.
:Just saw cut the tube out of the wall to the length
:needed to mate the Repair Trap to the basin tailpiece.
:
: Use the finest tooth hacksaw blade so as to create
:minimal stress on the existing work.
:
: Although the repair trap has rubber or plastic compression
:seals, I've found it helpful to apply a bit of silicone caulk
:as well to keep the joints in alignment afterward.
:
: If the trap will be exposed, this repair will look "correct"
:rather than gimmicky.
:
:Jim

I gave it a big try yesterday to twist off that nut. It's a big nut, 2"
hex with a 1 1/4 inch hole in it, aluminum. I had a parallel face wrench
(I think it's a monkey wrench? Ford), and I had a pipe on it's handle
and pounded it many many times with a sledge hammer and I couldn't get
it to loosen. I found a wrench at a hardware store that would fit the
nut, but didn't buy it. I was thinking of cutting it off. A tool lending
library here opens tomorrow and I was going to wait and ask them if they
have a way of loosening the nut.

Today, I decided to give another try to twisting the pipe within the
nut. Grabbing it with leather gloves, I detected some play and I worked
it loose! I could slide it in or out, and I've managed to get it in the
correct position. I had a devil of a time getting the trap to stop
leaking. When I finally got that done I found that the tail piece in the
pop-up assembly was leaking water where it meets the part above it!
Rats!! I took out the pop-up assembly and applied two layers of
contact cement to the joint, figuring it will stop the leak. The water
coming out is obviously not under much pressure. After applying the
first coat of cement, I got the idea that I could have sweated the joint
with solder. I think the cement will stop that leak. It's not much, just
a few drops, but I want it to be perfect.

Dan

PS I think you are talking about a compression join with rubber and a
couple of hose clamps, or similar, right Jim? I had that idea too, but
decided that was plan B or C.

I haven't really understood what exactly you are doing but you mentioned
leaks in the assembly. I do know that contact cement is not really in the
scheme of things though!

Don't worry. I've done some unorthodox things in the past with plumbing.
Did a double kitchen sink with garbage disposal. Replaced some drain pipes
and all nylon slip joint washers but with 10 slip joints odds are against
ya if you aren't a pro. If you take something apart because it leaks you'll
fix that one and create two more. For one little drip at a joint in a setup
like that, I've been known to cheat and finger in some a tiny amount of
silicone. Maybe not ethical but it worked long term.

Where the popup drain sets in a bath sink gets plumbers putty.

And I've used liquid teflon tape on the slipnut joints before assembly.
You're not supposed to have to if you have new slipjoint washers and good
seats.