Posted to uk.d-i-y
seani seani is offline

Default Newton Membrane

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
seani wrote:
I recently commisioned an independent damp report, and the upshot is
that I need to remove the plaster to a height of about 1m in several
downstairs rooms, and recover, inserting a Newton nembrane where
appropriate.

Is this ground floor or semi-basement? A Newton membrane is only normally
fitted below ground level.

It's a fairly old (1885) stone built cottage with concrete floors and
no gap under the house. The back garden slopes down towards the house
and although there are drains and soakaways, these don't always do the
job. I'm also looking to rearrange the drainage and guttering to take
some of the pressure off problem areas.

The previous owners seem to have take the option of slapping as many
layers of paper and paint on as possible, and left the drains and
gutters almost completely blocked in some cases. I'm hoping that some
fairly simple maintenance should improve matters considerably. It isn't
*that* bad at the moment, but I don't want to be replacing skirting
boards, redecorating etc. without solving the problem.