Posted to misc.consumers.house
Jonathan Kamens Jonathan Kamens is offline

Default Question on homeowner's insurance?

KLS writes:
The premium will also be affected by the age of the house, and
therefore the quality of the materials required to rebuild the house
to its "original" standards.

Indeed. I've encountered insurance companies which will quote
policies for insuring your home to rebuild with either current
or original materials (for older homes, current will be much
cheaper), and I've encountered insurance companies which will
only quote for original materials. I don't know if there are
any companies that will only quote for current materials.

This is particularly annoying to me because I've got a 120
year old house, and I'd really like to use a particular
insurance company, but that company will only issue a policy
for original materials, and I don't care to insure for
original materials, which is a significantly more expensive
policy. If my house burns down, I'm perfectly happy
rebuilding with modern materials. So I'm stuck using another
insurance company that I don't like.

--
Help stop the genocide in Darfur!
http://www.genocideintervention.net/